Saturday, March 20, 2010

Foodview 0.7 Ootoya Bangkok

Reached the hotel at 6pmish so quickly requested for a Tuk-tuk ride to the Thong Lo BTS station .

On the way to the Thong Lo BTS Skytrain station (Only 3 minutes tuk-tuk drive if you don't consider the crazy bangkok traffic)
One of many ads at the stations. Maybe I can earn a living in Bangkok by teaching broken English.

From there it was just one stop westwards (or away from On Nut BTS skytrain station) to the Phrom Pheng BTS station. The first of the big shopping complexes that was encountered called the Emporium.

Comparing the Emporium to the other shopping complexes, I reckon its one of the smallest.

There was a Heineken Music festival night happening inside and outside of the complex. The talent was pretty good. The crowd was loving it while enjoying their nice cold Heineken.

The live singing complimented the nice atmosphere outside as well

I really like how the skytrain stations are connected to the shopping complexes in Bangkok. Well done-no need for walking down the stairs or crossing roads. Once I walked in, all the big fashion labels were everywhere. I am not into branded stuff except the brand, GUNDAM and TELSTRA! (Telstra took off their advert cos no one clicked on it - I only earned 20cents... I probably can earn more money picking up fallen coins on Swanston street). I didnt waste time walking around and went straight up to the top floor - FOOD COURT. There were ther big chain restaurants like MOS Burger, a Nandos knock-off called PIRI PIRI, and Hungry Jacks.

After walking around, decided on Ootoya. A japanese franchise, they have like one billion or so branches in Bangkok, five in Taiwan and one in Singapore and zero in Malaysia. My deduction skills and reasoning leads me to believe why Ootoya is so succesful in Thailand because there are so many Japanese people living and working here. Every 50th person I met was Japanese. I wonder if the pay is good in Bangkok? I want to work here as a professional badminton player.

So I am at Ootoya and every staff member is Thai and there was a number of japanese patron. If Japanese people eat here then it must be good enough. Had to queue and waited to be seated bu didnt take long about 5-10 minutes. A lot of variety in the menu. Green tea was free flowing and I must say that I was never a big fan of green tea but the tea was yummy. Fragant-y and not bitter yet and no funky aftertaste.

Details appreciated.

Always wipe your face with hot towels then wipe your hands.

You like it hot or

cold?

For starters I ordered fried potato croquette, came with two dips. I gouged that potato like there was not tomorrow. Crispy skin and chewy potato bits.

I just love the plates and bowls they use. This potato croquette is yummy.

Next was Oyakodon, as Suzuki-san explains, "Oya means mother and ko means child and don means rice. So Mother (Chicken) and child (egg) rice". The egg was nice and moist and wasnt overcooked.

They provide seaweed strips to sprinkle on your dish. :)

Grilled chicken rice. Mmmm. Sauce was just the right thickness. The clay pot was super hot which slowed down me scoffing my food

Moist meat and crispy veggies. Rice was cooked perfectly.

Look at my shiny sauce. Its so shiny.

Need some spice for your palate?

If things get to spicy. Then cool off with green tea ice cream and red beans. I just love these bowls.

Looks tiny but I think the serving portion is just right.

Cant get enough? They can deliver to your hotel.

These guys in orange and motorcyclist taxis. You dont get a helmet. I was tempted to get on one but didnt know how to give him directions back to the hotel.

After walking out of Emporium its a quick walk back to the skytrain station where you could call the hotel tuk tuk or walk home.

Actually when I got back to the hotel, I became super hungry again and ventured out to what must be the worst japanese restaurant (unfortunately I didnt bring my camera) and bought the worst dumplings ever. All I can remember was that the restaurant was tiny and cramped.
Yuck.

Taste : 4 out of 5 stars
Value : 4 out of 5 stars

No comments:

Post a Comment