Friday, March 12, 2010

Review 0.7 Salil Hotel, Thong Lor, Bangkok, Thailand

It's another Jaystin goes to Bangkok adventure story! Oh yea please click on the Telstra ad on the right! It will make my Telstra prepaid mobile battery last longer. Thanks!! Telstra prepaid rocks!
Map of the two Salil hotels. Ripped from their website.

Walking along from Sukhumvit Soi 55

Walking straight takes you to Sukhumvit Soi 53, but turn right to Salil Hotel

This alley leads to the hotel. On my right is a picture framing shop.

Further down and you will begin to see the Salil hotel signs.

You will pass by this massage spa if you are coming from Sukhumvit soi 55.

The front of the hotel

Lovely balconies. Straight ahead is the restaurant

View from the restaurant

Suddenly it became dark.

The restaurant.

Hotel tuk tuk is parked right outside.


I couldnt start the tuk tuk because I had no key, duh.

You will see altars like this everywhere in Bangkok.


Alfresco area. Tuk tuk is parked right behind this area.


Zooming into the restaurant from the alfreso area.


Walking into the restaurant

Not much to see out the restaurant windows. Nice view
Door from hotel to restaurant.

Lobby coming from the restaurant

View of the very small lobby from the reception area.


Nice & clean neighbourhood, safe area and quiet street
Like it says on their website its located in a nice quiet area that is Thong Lo. Is it safe? Well, I have walked at night from the hotel to a nearby 7-11 and back (please visit the thai 7-11 site to listen to the smashingly awesome thai song) and didn't get mugged nor harrased during my stay at the hotel.

Communication
I was nearly done filling my details on their online booking page but cancelled in the end because I had to go and fry and egg and intended to continue my booking after dinner. However, I received an email from the hotel that I needed to fill an payment form to complete my booking. I thought the hotel had hacked into my computer. That was spooky. Anyways I replied back to them to please cancel my 'initial' booking as I will re-start over. The reply was instantaneous. Emails was being replied back and forth, it was as if we were like on Windows Live messenger. I remember it was around 9-10pm Melbourne time.

So yes communication is fast and furious. To call the hotel dial +66 2 6625 4803. Its best not to call as the man who answered the phone cannot speak english. I am not sure why the emails were communicated in good english.

Free airport transfer
After exiting customs and immigrations at Suvarnabhumi Airport, our confirmation email from the hotel instructed us that our driver will wait at Arrival gate 3 at the time of our arrival. I emailed to them that we might be late coming out from the terminal. Their reply was the driver can wait for hours until we complete customs and immigration. Top marks. So upon exiting terminal and making our way to Arrival gate 3, I spotted my name on those name cards and the driver was way before gate 3. Luckily I spotted my name. He walked us to the airport carpark and the trip took about 30-40 minutes. It was around 4-5pm Bangkok time. Traffic was crazy jam.

So yes despite being told to wait at Arrival gate 3, do look out for your name as the driver might be waiting at other gates.

Café de Salil
The package I selected included complimentary breakfast. I must say the food is great. The food varies from day to day and it was served hot such as fried rice, bacon, fried eggs on demand, cereal and cold milk, yoghurt and even porridge.

Free Tuk-tuk to BTS Thong Lo skytrain station
The tuk-tuk is not always available. I got on it the first night to get my orientation. Its something one must experience. So before coming back to the Thong BTS skytrain station, at least call 5-10minutes before you reach the station because there's traffic to consider, other people might be using it or it might not be available. That same night we waited a good 20-25 minutes. So you have been warned. The hotel is seriously a 3-5 minute walk. I ended up walking back to the hotel most of the time.

Free DVD and Free Internet
The movies were not the latest but its a good idea. I did watch "Lars and the real girl". There was cable TV on a big flat screen as well. I didnt bring my eeepc so I couldnt tell you how fast the internet was.

Rooms
The long awaited section. I did have a look at the 1st floor rooms and the ground floor rooms. MY advise is to request to stay on the ground floor. The rooms on this floor compared to the first floor is HUGE. The room is just perfect. No complains. There's even a balcony that looks out to nothing. Yup a white wall. I guess you could put your pet dog or baby out here. *O*


Just opposite these venetian blinds is the lobby. This is the corridor to the four ground floor hotel rooms.

My room 102

Nice big single beds. Its criminal to call them single beds.

The thermostat. It gets really cold. Air-conditioning WORKS!

The art piece should belong in some French museum.

Wardrobe has safe which is 'portable'

Mini fridge and kettle.

Sink area. Water splashes out too easily.

Toilet area

Bathtub area. I had a nice soak in the bath.

Woah flat screeeen.

Bad points
While very little. I must point them out. A couple of the light switches didnt work. A couple of the plugs to charge my camera didnt work. I had inform reception so we won't get charged for any 'damage'. However the lighting was more than adequate and as you could see the lighting is bright enough. There was also plenty plugs to charge a hundred cameras. LOL

Final comment and rating
If you have the chance, just another reminder to request to stay on the ground floor. Maybe even stay in room 102. ^_^
This is a great stay. No complaints but then I was out for most of the day. Complimentary breakfast was great. I was full as. All you can eat. yummy.

Price : 5 out of 5 stars
Overall rating : 5 out of 5 stars

Woah another perfect review. Am I high?

1 comment:

  1. nice hotel^^
    im going to stay end of this month ^^
    thx for the review ^^

    ReplyDelete