Monday, November 22, 2010

Foodview 3.1 Minh Xuong, Melbourne

So on Sunday, I was craving for Dry Egg noodles like, for the like all of last week like.

That's enough likes for the year 2010.

Anyways, I strolled myself down russell street, until I hit the corner of russell and little bourke street... the entrance to Melbourne city's china town.
I was short of time and cash and I hit the first asian restaurant I could find.
I found a target and chose to eat at Minh Xuong

Standing in front of Minh Xuong and thats my ride... not. I wish it was. :(

For non-Melbournian readers, here are a couple more shots of beautiful Melbourne
Looking to my right (along Russell Street towards Lonsdale Street)


Looking to my left (along Russell Street towards Little Bourke Street)

Grrr I had to request for my chinese tea! But when the waiter came back, it was in a pot and the first thought running through my mind was, "Oh noes, do I have to pay for that?" (Bearing in mind that I was low on cash) Fortunately it was free. *sigh of relief*
The soup was not overly salty but salty enough to complement that tasteless noodles to follow...

One of these does not belong:

So which is it?
Correct guess for the top left corner! Its just zoomed-in closer than the others. As Cookie Monster said, "You're so clever!"

Ok not sure why I took so many of the same photos. Anyways moving ahead, let's break down this foodview:

Egg noodles:
Not cooked to softness that I would have come to expect from any asian restaurant. It could have been cooked a bit more. But I gobbled it down.

Sauce:
The flavour is missing. Yes it was. Gone to chinatown, I imagined. Perhaps thats why the lightly salty soup was served together with this dish?

Pork:
Perhaps this could be the saving grace for this dish. They did give a generous portion of meat. The meat was tender and divine. Well done! However! The skin was not crispy at all. It was more like chewy and not a trace of crispy-ness.
Everyone should take a lesson in Crispy-skin pork from wiki or even Pacific House.

Overall :
For AUD9, I think these guys could have
a) given more noodles. It was paltry!
b) though the meat was excellent, it was let down by the skin. :(
c) put in more flavour in the sauce!

Taste : 3 out of 5 (thanks to the pork)
Value : 2 out of 5

Let's end this foodview with The Colbert Report and Cookie Monster.
Oh! Happy belated birthday to Cookie Monster! (2nd November)
The Colbert ReportMon - Thurs 11:30pm / 10:30c
Cookie Monster
www.colbertnation.com
Colbert Report Full Episodes2010 ElectionMarch to Keep Fear Alive

2 comments:

  1. i like this place though..give a lot of meat but have to admit the food is not very good..go for the portion

    ReplyDelete
  2. is chinese fud in melbourne expensive?

    ReplyDelete