Wednesday, August 4, 2010

Foodview 2.4 Fryske Dumkes, Netherland

[Jaystin - Yet another special edition foodview! This foodview is from International Foodview correspondent, Milktea. She is based in the Netherlands. The aim of International foodviews is to showcase and have an appreciation of the different and yummy foods from around the world! The following is her review]

hey all! I am [Name withheld] aka Mirukuchii aka Milky aka Milktea ;)
Mr Jaystin himself asked me if perhaps I could do some guest reviews about the Dutch food. Well of course I will help out!

However in my opinion Dutch food is really boring. I mean REALLY boring, you see most of the food consist of potatoes and cooked vegetables nothing added just that :/

So instead of telling you about the boring stuff I wil try to make some "reviews" about the more interesting foods/sweets that the Dutch have to offer.

Up first. Fryske Dumkes!


Fryske Dumkes (lit. translation means as much as Frisian small thumbs)
are small cookies which are for some reason mostly eaten with hot chocolate.

I cheated a bit since this is not Dutch but Frisian instead. But since I am a Frisian I will add them.

For those not familiar with Frisian I will explain. Up north in the Netherlands there is a small province which is called Frisian. We have our own culture and language and also out own specialities ;)

Frisian used to be big, really big. It spanned all the way down to Utrecht (the middle of Holland) all the way up to Denmark across the coasts. But because the Frisian liked to fight, also with themselves, they were overrun by the people of Holland and drawn back in this small province where it lays fairly unknown

You might know Frisian from their cows though. the black and white ones? Yup also Frisian.

So far the History lesson sorry about that ;)

The cookies are always rather small, the ones in the picture are rather big about 10 cm or so. What makes them special is that they are made with anise which give them a very strange but sweet taste.
Fryske Dumkes can only be bought in Frisian (for as far as I know) and are one of the products the stores try to sell to tourists for ridiculous high prices.

My advice, just go to a bakery, much cheaper, fresher and tastier ^^

Only thing I dislike about them is that you get these tiny pieces of anise in your mouth that tend to get stuck between your teeth.

My other advice : Check your teeth for any leftover anise before going out!

Well I hope you all liked the short "review" Maybe more will come, if you like them that is ^^

[Jaystin-That was fantastic, Milktea. Please give more facts and history lessons! I enjoyed this foodview. I appreciate the time taken to be a guest reviewer. Thanks! Oh, I seriously never figured out why Frisian cows were called Frisian cows. Now I can move on. Unfortunately, I am not a big fan of aniseed. I am anti-aniseed. Like evil!]

No comments:

Post a Comment