Monday, July 12, 2010

Foodview 1.9 Petaling street, Glen Waverley

I have a friend, his name is Kor which stand for 'King of restaurants'. This guy is the ultimate foodie. He rarely eats at home. When he was living in Tasmania, he conquered ate at every restaurant that island had to offer. The stacks of business cards that he has amassed during the years is evidence of this and now, he has moved to Melbourne. His killing eating spree has already begun, starting on the east side of Victoria.

So when he told me about this restaurant named, Petaling Street, I was immediately intrigued. I have been disappointed by many restaurants in Melbourne claiming to serve authentic Malaysian cuisine. (In my opinion, the only restaurant that does come close to this claim would have to be Laksa King, yes, I will do foodviews on them when they have finished renovating their brand new restaurant in Flemington).

My first visit to Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia was when around 1990. Back then chinatown or Petaling street was authentic and real and what I imagined what chinatown should be, a must visit for any tourist. The experience was surreal. Fast forward ten years, Petaling street has lost all of its appeal, its no longer what it was. All the chinese traders have hired other nationals to care for their stalls, and even the variety of items that are sold have become uninteresting and it seems like every second stall were selling the same things. Suddenly, its better to shop at Tesco. However there is a restaurant in Petaling, that is as dirty as, and I was brave enough to try their roasted pork and egg noodles. a definite 5 out of 5 stars dish. If I ever go back, I must map out the route to find that restaurant and take photos.

With this in mind, any restaurant calling themselves, Petaling street, would have to live up to their name. I will not let my memories be destroyed any further.


Even though, its my first time eating at this restaurant, it appears to be around for quite awhile as it has three branches.

A chicken dish with sweet spicy sauce. Home cooking style .

The sauce was more sweet then spicy. A few chicken pieces were very chewy -almost like it was not complete cooked. We did not eat these pieces - not risking any potential food poisoning. Already disappointed with the first dish and was very ordinary looking.

Taste : 1 out of 5 stars

Next up is Combination crispy egg noodles with beef instead of chicken.

I have never seen this dish served with broccoli. The beef was nicely done. Some restaurants would go crazy with the sauce when cooking combination crispy noodles. Here the sauce served is jsut the right amount. Laksa King for example goes a bit over board with their sauce - resulting in not so crispy noodles. However, the sauce was very salty, very.

Taste : 1 out of 5 stars


Tear-drop noodles or Lo Shi Fun, are stubby rice noodles which looks more like worms. So if one were to eat it 'dry' (not soup based but with a sauce) especially with dark sauce, then you can say, "Hey mom! Look at me, I am eating soil and worms!" :|

It has been a really long time since I have eating these noodles. Please don't let me down!


Third's time the charm! The sauce and the minced beef was just the right taste - not to salty. I should have tried this as a soup.

Taste : 3 out of 5 stars

Overall :
Value : 2 out of 5 stars
As you can tell from my scores, I was not impressed with this restaurant. Thank goodness the Lo Shi Fun was the saving grace for me. I will not come back here again.

6 comments:

  1. well, i guess you cant find any 'real' malaysian food stuff in australia?

    ReplyDelete
  2. i can tell u didn't go to box hill branch because that menu is from glen waverly not box hill menu

    ReplyDelete
  3. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  4. ashley c: I set very high standards when it comes to 'real' malaysian food.

    perhaps the next person who eats might even say some restaurants here are even better than malaysia.

    but no.... never gonna happen lol.

    ReplyDelete
  5. it wasnt too long ago. but my memory is failing me. you may be right. but my colleagues live in box hill soooo I dunno. until i meet up with them again... im going for box hill.

    ReplyDelete
  6. when are you coming to malaysia for vacation :D :D .. btw i'm going to penang tomorrow :D :D 1st time visiting there@w@

    ReplyDelete