Sunday, July 4, 2010

Foodview 1.7 Gold Star Noodle House, Melbourne

Its Argentina 0 v 1 Germany. Go Germany!!!

Tis' a good time to do a foodview. This one comes from the heart of Melbourne. From the corner of Bourke St and Russell St, walk a short distance towards Swanston st, and you will hit Midcity Plaza. It's right next to Cotton On and opposite KFC. Located in Midcity plaza is an Optus shop (this is where I buy my internal phonecards), an anime store (there do sell overpriced gundams, and sometimes rare Masterpiece Transformers and other cool japanesy toys) and lots of asian restaurants.

The most popular of these restaurants, without a doubt, would be Pancake Desert House (PDH). I will do a foodview of this establishment in the near future. Today, I will do a foodview of one of the other restaurants that have been over-shadowed by the mighty PDH, Gold Star Noodle House. It is right opposite PDH.

Nice wallpaper. What is with that left bottom corner? The owners of the restaurant made an effort to make the place look nice. Good job. PDH just has tables to herd customers to.

Very nice menu design.


I am going to based my next website design on this menu.

Designs aside, prices are reasonable.

Starters is fried chicken pieces. I like the effort in presentation. +

Straight forward deep fried chicken. Flavours didn't jump around in my mouth. Still tasted good. Portion is a bit small for my liking.

Fried rice noodles with beef and egg sauce.


Home-cooking style. Egg sauce is done well. Noodles were very salty. --

I believe this restaurant's main specialty are noodle soups. I ordered Egg noodles in chicken broth with Fried chicken with bonus: Egg boiled in soy sauce!

Alternative to noodle soup is steamed rice with bonus egg.

The soup was not as salty as the rice noodles but it was a bit weak on flavour.

The same batter must have been used to fry this chicken

Taste and flavours same as my starters

The texture was a bit tough on the edges though. Beneath the chicken were fried cabbage and carrot which was soaked in oil. Strictly as garnish only. One of the best looking fried chicken around.

Taste : 2 out of 5
Value : 4 out of 5
Worth a visit for first timers. However, not to sure about this place becoming a regular fixture for me. Price is very reasonable but was reflected by the small portions. Loved the restaurant's design. Something different.

No comments:

Post a Comment