Wednesday, December 30, 2009

Foodview 02. Jade Hong Kong Cafe, Box Hill

When I think of Box Hill, I think of Shanghai dumplings. There is a Shanghai dumpling restaurant in Chinatown in the city, a few years back they were number 1 in my little black book of eating out, but after being closed twice for what I believed was for failing health inspections, the quality of their food has dropped beyond acceptable. They must have lost the passion for cooking or their secret recipe for making dumplings must have been eaten by rats. That chapter in my book is gone, torn that page and gave it to the rats to chew on it. Anyways, I walked past that restaurant -not to be named- just last week and it was actually packed full... Full of innocent victims who can't tell their dim sums from their dumplings.

Haven't eaten nor seen a Shanghai dumpling since... until today! I was reminded of the beauty of the Shanghai dumpling not in my mouth but from a picture on a menu advertised on one of the many Shanghai dumpling restaurants. I don't know why but the travelling party I was with (I did keep repeating -out loud- how I wanted to stuffed my face with dumplings) did not go to a Shanghai dumpling restaurant (Was it to spite me? Or did they just mentally blocked out every word I said that started with a 'D'?) but instead chose to enter the Jade Hong Kong Cafe

Observation : Clean and the tables were well-spaced. The place had a nice ambiance and packed with customers. The side tables for some odd reason reminded me of the restaurants back in Malaysia :) We didn't wait to long to be seated. The menu mainly consisted of Hong-kong style dishes like baked rice and spaghetti variants; there wasn't any particular specialty the restaurant was known for. There were televisions showing programs from a Chinese cable Tv network to entertain you from their rather boring food. I suspect that Handsome Jade may be the proprietor of this establishment.


I ordered a classic, "White and Red Sauce Baked Rice with meat". I was a bit worried what 'meat' I would end up getting. The sauces had mushrooms, corn & carrot bits, and thankfully they gave me chicken pieces which was baked over steamed rice. Careful the plate is hot.



My friends ordered Fried Kuey Teow with beef (that's right they didn't have to guess what meat they were gonna get), and Seafood chowder with a serve of toast with butter.

Service was slow, the taste was bland for my rice dish but the serving portion was just right. The noodle dish had almost no taste, could just taste a tiny tiny hint of saltiness but the beef was well done - very tender. I thought it was a bit pricey for 'home-cooked food'. I must note that the seafood chowder was milky as, I thought they given their cat's milk bowl. Overall I would not recommend this place.

Taste : 1 out of 5 stars
Value : 1 out of 5 stars
This review is a reflection of my thoughts and experience so please give this place a go before casting your own final judgment.

No comments:

Post a Comment