Friday, January 29, 2010

Foodview 05. Top Catch Fish & Chippery, North Melbourne

Mr.P and the Golden Fish promotional movie poster
From the Nat Chan, the Oskar-nominated director Once a metro, comes Mr.P and the last golden fish, the story of one man's search for a gold fish.

Lame introduction to today's food review. However, true, that I have been looking for the greatest fish and chips in Melbourne. From Ascot Vale to Docklands, time and again, fish and chips shops have consistently let me down. Especially one in Port Melbourne, shame on you! Two words for you old boy... uncooked calamari!

I really want to say something like 'Alas, I have found the Lost temple of the Golden Fish arrr'. But no, instead I think I have found a f&c shop that is pretty close to the title of the greatest fish and chip shop in Melbourne.


Errol street is a nice little street to hang out and eat, great atmosphere, but I feel that the quality of food in this area is lacking . Anyways, this f&c shop is run by asians, and no, they are not members of the sinister organisation, G.O.V.R.A. I believe this shop changed hands a fews year ago. The owner is very nice and has rather large forearms. A part-time arm wrestler perhaps?

Here's the fish and calamari. Sadly their chips didn't make the grade and their tartar sauce didn't fare too well either. So I ordered two pieces of flake as well as calamari rings. Flake has always been my favourite because I like its mild flavour, nice clean and whitish texture.
Click to appreciate it in a bigger view.

Zoom in x2
Look at that batter. Every single bit of crunchy crispiness. The batter looks really light and not thick at all.

Zoom in x5
If fishes had a choice, I reckon it would pick this batter as its skin over fish scales. And all fishes should just fly in the air and already cooked, so we can just reach up and grab one and eat it.

Zoom in x10
All of the calamari rings retains their circular shape and elasticity. Most calamari rings from other f&c shops look wilted and have no character to them. I can play ring toss with these calamari.

Eventually I had to stop admiring the batter and get stuck into it.

Zoom in x2
Paris Hilton, "Oh my gosh, like how thin is that batter. It's like not even there". I must repeat myself and say the batter is top class.

Zoom in x5
The meat is not soggy or mushy. Very nicely done.

Zoom in x10
Top catch has even got the portions just right, not to long or short and not to thick or thin.

Sadly the only thing I have to say is there is the dull aftertaste, its like licking batteries. Maybe its mercury? I wonder had I only eaten one fish, would I still have this aftertaste? I suggest eating one piece of fish with some sort of accompaniment, tomato/chilli sauce, salt and vinegar, lemon juice but even then, you may experience that dull taste lingering in your mouth and could kill your eating experience. That or I probably had oral thrush that day.

Verdict :

Taste : The batter really shines in this fish but the taste brings down its overall mark to 3.75 out of 5 stars! (Considering the chips and tartar sauce as well)

Value : Very competitive pricing. 5 out of 5 stars. Just remember to only eat one piece of fish to avoid that mercuric aftertaste.

No comments:

Post a Comment